Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The First Post

I've been reading blogs for years.  I've read, commented, laughed, cried and loved reading about the lives of some amazing women (sorry I mostly read mommy blogs).  Most of the blogs I read are about women who've faced difficulties in their lives (infertility, loss, relationships) and I've been amazed about how much these women have recieved from their internet community and most importantly how much writing about their experiences has been therapeutic.  I've been thinking about it for awhile, and I finally decided to give it a shot.  15 months ago my life dramatically changed and blogging about it sounded like a good idea.

On October 24, 2009, my sister J and her husband M were killed in a car accident.  They left behind 4 girls.  Since then, my life has been defined by "before the accident" and "after the accident."  My family has been devastated by this.  Our relationships have been challenged, damaged, strengthened all at the same time.  It's all so very complicated that it's hard to write it all down.

So I lost my sister.  That really sucks.  But I'm also now the guardian to two of her daughters ages 14 and 10...a decision that took almost a year and lots of hurt for all parties concerned.  My husband, K, and I have three sons of our own ages 10, 8, and 3.  Our family is blessed by having the girls, but it's also caused so much disruption and chaos to our lives.

Not having written a blog before, I'm really not sure how to go about telling my story.  It's all so complicated.  But I thought in this first post I'd at least explain my blog name.  Rocks....My family rocks...my immediate family, my in-laws, my friends...we're a fun, wacky group of awesome people.  But during all of this, a lot of hurt has been thrown around and many "rocks" have been thrown in our direction (myself and K).  Through this past year though I've in many ways had to be a rock...holding everyone up, trying not to get too emotional, being strong for the kids.  There have also been many people who are my rocks.  So whichever way you look at it lately, my life has been filled with rocks...the good and the bad.  I hope this blog is a way in which I can talk about all of them.

Rock On!
Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment