Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Free Falling

The last weeks have been shocking.  Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Vegas.


For some reason the thing that has hit me the hardest is the passing of Tom Petty.


His music is the soundtrack of my youth.


We listen to him so much that my kids love him too.


The first mix tape K made me had "Here Comes My Girl" on it.  Love that song.


His distinctive voice, cutting lyrics, and consistently old school rock and roll sound never failed me.  His songs evoke love, loss, humor, longing and human connection.  A true poet with a touch of bad boy.


I loved the Travelling Wilburys. George. Jeff. Roy. Bob. Tom.  I keep listening to "End of the Line" and getting tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.


Maybe the other events are so unbelievable in the scope of loss that the sudden death of Tom Petty feels more personal.


Maybe when you find an artist that you connect with it can sometimes spark an unexpected level of intimacy.  Lyrics that reflect your thoughts and feelings so well that you think you know each other in real life.


Maybe his loss makes me feel old. 


Maybe his death triggered my own loss.  It is that time of the year.  Doesn't take much to find the tears.


Refugee.  Last Dance with Mary Jane. Wallflowers. Running Down a Dream.  Songs that will be in my playlist forever.

3 comments: