Yes, this title would make all of the boys (including the 43 year old) giggle, but I couldn't think of anything else. Anyway...
A very busy last 2 weeks has kept my fingers away from the keyboard (at least for blogging). I wanted to take a few minutes today to jot some things down before I forget. Not inspired blogging, but in the interest of keeping the story going...
1. Last weekend K and I went down to Naples, FL for a brief respite. It was wonderful. Weather was perfect, accommodations were stellar and we did absolutely nothing but sleeping, reading, eating and walking the beach. K did golf on Sunday morning, but that was the most energy we expended. Back on the homestead, unfortunately, things did not go as well. My mother-in-law stayed with the kids and although we had a light weekend in terms of activities, a lot of craziness ensued. Some of the problems included D getting left home from dinner on Saturday night and L getting picked up from a birthday party late (for a party that an adult should have stayed with him anyway). D called us sobbing multiple times during the weekend and the texts from E were pretty much non-stop. One can leave the stress behind geographically, but unfortunately cell phones make it hard to leave it behind completely.
2. The car saga with E continues. Last night, she parked illegally at therapy and got the car towed. Moreover, her best friend inadvertently outed her in a lie when she told her mom she saw E with the silly swim boy in a location she was not supposed to be. When confronted both girls denied it and now we're completely unsure what to think. I knew from the beginning she was lying about something, but I just couldn't put my finger on it and she wouldn't admit to any wrongdoing. On the good side, she knows that she's lying and is the type of person that will suffer under her own guilt. She is already on limited driving because of the accident (school and practice only). Ahhh, teenagers. Such fun.
3. I am woefully behind on Christmas shopping and preparation. I did get the outside lights and decorations up this week on an unseasonably warm day. K can't go up ladders so it was up to me to get things done. I'm trying to get in the holiday spirit, but fatigue is hampering the fa la la a bit.
4. K is doing fine. His numbers have been off the last two checks and although the doctor isn't concerned it still freaks me out. The biggest impact I've noticed though is his overall energy level. He is really wiped out at the end of the day. I'm not sure if it's the medicine or the damage to his lungs. It continues to be disconcerting and a worry in the back of my mind.
5. My relationship with my parents has been very strained lately. In their mourning of Jeanne, they have focused solely on E and M. Not only are boundaries blurred in terms of parenting and respect, but my dad can't see me or K without bringing up something related to the guardianship accounts, the trust, the house, the new tombstone, etc. It gets really old. As a family, we are so much more that just the girls and their grief. The boys continue to get ignored. If the girls didn't live with us, it really wouldn't bother me that much, but the disparity is glaring directly in front of the boys and they notice. It's also not what's best for the girls in our efforts to treat them as normal children in our family. My parents bring dinner over on Wednesdays (our busiest day) which is great, but the anxiety and stress they add to our house just isn't worth it.
E's got a big swim meet this weekend which means lots of sitting around to watch 60 seconds of swimming. I've got some posts swirling around my head and I'm hoping to get some of them actually down on paper (or screen). Maybe the chlorine fumes will help.