I have seriously wanted to rock out a great post the last week, but as usual time has been against me. Here are a few snippets of what is going on. Some of it good. Some of it bad. All of it the normal WTF junk that seems to follow our family.
1. When M came to live with us, we pretty much changed everything in her life. New house, school, neighborhood swim team, etc. The only thing that remained constant was her travel soccer team. At great sacrifice for our family we have kept her on that team. Logistically it is an absolute nightmare. Some of them have been playing together since kindergarten. Her bond with them is amazing. Last summer the team underwent a coaching switch to a wonderful, female coach (who I've known for years). She is awesome. The girls love her. A few of the parents, unfortunately, did not want her as the coach for some reason and have been against her from the beginning. Things have spun so out of control that 4 players have quit, the coach felt forced to resign and we possibly won't have a spring season. Now, we have already been pursuing an opportunity for M through our local club (K feels very strongly about this), but we weren't planning on a wholesale move till this summer, if at all. M is devastated. The team has been pressuring us to make a decision about trying to stay with the team and finding new players. K and I are disgusted at the behavior of many of these adults and are hesitant to put M in that environment. The problem is, that we don't have to just consider soccer in this decision, but M's emotional well-being. Needless to say it sucks.
2. In this midst of all of this drama, my dad called me Tuesday night to tell me he has prostrate cancer. I almost dropped the phone and had to sit down. Hopefully they have caught it soon enough and everything will be fine. He starts treatment soon. He's known since October but didn't want to ruin the holidays. I still can't really wrap my head around it.
3. E had a dream recently in which I was in a car accident and then was shot. She texted me about it while she was in New York for a swim trip and informed me it was her subconscious getting revenge at me for yelling at her. I cried. I called C and cried some more. It was mean and weird and all over disturbing. I have seriously lost my temper with her 3 times in the last 2+ years in which I've raised my voice. Once again, I'm thankful she is under psychiatric care. I hope it helps. My fragile ego and weary heart can't take much more.
4. The day after Christmas, K had to leave for a 4 day business trip in FL. It was really hard to have him gone and then he was pick-pocketed on the third day and we have since had to cancel all of our cards, etc. He was left with $12 in his jeans pockets and had 3 straight meals at Subway. Seriously, the last thing we needed, but at least it was a quick fix.
5. I went to my GP on Monday for a meds check-up. I haven't really been noticing the meds as much the last month or so. Who knows if it's the stress from the holidays or our normal life. After talking with my therapist and my doctor we've increase my medicine a bit. I definitely feel it more. Unfortunately, I'm also much more tired and a bit spacey. I'm hoping this levels out after a few days and my body gets used to the new dose. I'm not sure I can handle the lethargy long term. Not sure who will win in the battle of grumpy mom versus mommy dead asleep on the couch at 7pm.
6. Despite all of the drama and crap, we still have had fun family moments. Giggles and squeals of laughter are still the prevalent sound on most nights around the house. L has been particularly hilarious. E has been up and down with her moods and interactions with the family, but at least we're all sort of used to that. M's fake illnesses are on an upswing and we are currently dealing with back pain, knee issues and a strange mark on her heal (obviously drawn on by marker). But, again, it's become normal for her and we just go with the flow balancing between ignoring and offering comfort.
Sorry for the rambling post. I have to save all of my cohesive thoughts for my actual job that I get paid for...not sure how well that's going since I'm sitting in my office writing this instead of doing the analysis piled up next to me. Speaking of, I better get back to it, or I'll start rambling more about my idiot sister-in-law still having the affair and S and her first experience with a sick kid.